Here's what the $5 billion Energy Drink industry does NOT want you to know:
- Caffeine- When consumed in higher doses, can cause: nausea, dizziness, increase urination, sever headaches, irregular heartbeat, breathing difficulties, disrupts sleep, nervousness, and anxiety. It is also a diurtic which causes they body to lose water quickly.
- Guarana- Is similar to caffeine, but much stronger. The side effects are the same as caffeine. The Energy Drink company is not required by law to tell how much Guarana is in their drinks.
- Sugar- Most Energy Drinks contain a large amount of sugar. High sugar drinks can lead to obseity, tooth decay, Type 2 dibetes, blood sugar and insulin spikes--which will make feel like a "crash-like" feeling.
- Taurine- Is an amino acid with an RDA of between 100-500mg a day. Energy drinks have a least 1000mg per can. Tauine is also a diurtic. Side effects include: *It is important to note that there have been NO scientic studies on the long term effects Taurine has on the body.
- Extra Vitamins- We all know that vitamins are important to the body. However, too much of a vitamin can actually be harmful. For example, the RDA for Vitamin B3 is 14mg, 1.2mg for Vitamin B6, and 2mg for Vitamin B12. However, the amount of Vitamin B3 in a 5 Hour Energy drink is 30mg, 40mg of Vitamin B6, and 500mg of Vitamin B12. Overdosing on Vitamin B when taken over a long period of time can result in headaches, dizziness, fainting, yellowing of skin, and temporary nerve/brain damage that can last 3 months to 3 years.